Monday, September 12, 2011

Hamburger Steaks

So last night was the first night of many, many nights of home cooked meals here at PanDoxie Place.


It was very easy to make and made the house smell yummy. I cut it in half for two people. The only issue I ran into was thickening the gravy part but it turned out in the end. I was reading on another blog today that these can also be Salisbury Steaks and Zach said that too. Next time I am going to make some mashed potatoes for a side it would compliment it very well. I would have done it last night but I wasn't feeling very good for a while so I snuggle with some pups and a baby.


So we started out with all of this, plus a few more that I forgot to round up.






Then we ended up with this. Not too attractive but YUMMY!
I didn't use all the meat so I am stretching into tonight's meal of homemade chili and cornbread. I have never made cornbread so I am hoping for the best, I am going to try Betty Homes and Garden's version. I wish we had our big iron skillet, however if this works out I will give it a go when we go home.



Hamburger Steak with Onion and Mushroom Gravy by AddaPinch.com

  • 2 pounds ground beef (I used about a pound)
  • 1 cup bread or saltine cracker crumbs (I used 1/2 cup bread crumbs)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon pepper (1/2 teaspoon)
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 teaspoon beef bouillion granules
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon flour (I ended up adding more to try to thicken the gravy)

Instructions

  1. Mix together ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic salt. Form into patties and cook in a skillet over low to medium heat until done throughout. Remove from skillet and set aside.
  2. Add onions and mushrooms to skillet. Drizzle with olive oil and allow to cook until tender.
  3. Mix together beef bouillion and water. Pour 1/2 over onions and mushrooms and allow to simmer for a few more minutes. Mix together flour into remaining broth and pour over mushrooms and onions. Allow to simmer until gravy has thickened.
  4. Serve hamburger steak with the onion and mushroom gravy ladled over the top.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8
Copyright © Add a Pinch. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment